THE CLUB > MILESTONES

Humble Beginnings

Idyllic Days Interrupted

Picking Up The Pieces & Momentum

Expanding Into The New Millenium

The Club Sets Sight On The Future

1905

9 young swimming enthusiasts named their group "Tanjong Katong Swimming Party"

1909

"Tanjong Katong Swimming Party" was renamed "Chinese Swimming Club" when its membership swelled

1912

The Chinese Swimming Club was formally registered under the then Societies Ordinance

1920

Many of Singapore's more renowned figures became members. Early pioneer members included

Mr Seow Sian Chye, Mr Lee Chin Koon and Mr Cheong Koon Seng

1921

The Club was casting around for a permanent premises and decided to approach Mr Lee Choon Guan, a wealthy philanthropist who offered the use of Bungalow C in the spacious grounds of his home, Mandalay House, where the current Arrival Pavilion now stands, for a nominal fee

1925

After Mr Lee Choon Guan's death, his widow Mrs Lee, the first Patroness of the Club, continued her husband's legacy of generosity by offering Bungalow C and its land for sale to the Club as freehold property

1927

The Chinese Swimming Club contributed to an all-Malaya team who traveled to Shanghai for the Chinese Olympics, the equivalent of the Asian Games then

1939

1941

1942

The Club demolished Bungalow C to make way for a 3-storey Clubhouse as well as a proper 25m sea water swimming pool

The newly opened Clubhouse was occupied by the Japanese Military police during the Japanese Occupation

Grand opening of the new Clubhouse and 25m swimming pool

1946

The Club re-opened its doors to members and Club activities resumed

1951

The Chinese Swimming Club was rebuilt with a full-sized Olympic swimming pool and formally opened by the then Governor of Singapore, Sir Franklin Gimson

1965

Singapore's original Golden Girl Pat Chan swept  8 gold medals at the South East Asian Peninsula Games in Kuala Lumpur

1979

The $6 million Sports Complex was officially declared open by our former Law, Science and Technology Minister,  Mr E W Barker on 15 December

1992

New Recreation Complex was officially opened by the former President of Singapore, Dr Wee Kim Wee

1996

The Chinese Swimming Club staged a water ballet extravaganza titled "Pirouettes in a Pool" for charity, performed by the 25-member Russian Pearl Water Ballet Troupe

2002

Sports Complex was torn down for Phase 1 of the Redevelopment Project

2005

The new Sports Complex was officially opened on 19 February 2005. The project cost $27.4 million

2007

The old Club House was torn down for Phase 2 of the Redevelopment Project.

2009

The Club celebrated its 100th anniversary. The $16 million new Arrival Pavilion was officially opened on 4 November 2009 by Mr Wong Kang Seng, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Home Affairs.

2012

Opening of the Heritage Gallery

2013

Official Opening of the Recreation Complex and Charity Gala Night

 

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2015. PRIVACY STATEMENT